Unfortunately, once you have one, there's no way to get rid of a cold. But there are ways to ease your symptoms. Here are 5 Simple Remedies for Relief:
1. Drink for relief: Of course, proper nutrition is important to your overall health, but did you know that certain foods and drinks can help treat a cold? They may not get rid of a cold but they could help ease some of your cold symptoms. Warm drinks can offer relief for your cough and sore-throat symptoms by stimulating salivation and secretions to help soothe and lubricate your throat. So when you're trying to treat a cold, hot tea can be helpful.
2. Sleep it off: Sleep is essential for your body to rest and heal. Even though it won't help you get rid of a cold, sleep allows your immune system to fight off infections. Do your best to adjust your sleep schedule to get that extra rest that will help treat a cold. Plus, a humidifier or nasal decongestant can help you breathe better as you slumber.
3. Meditate: When wondering how to treat a cold, remember, you can only treat the symptoms of a cold. Studies show that stress hurts your ability to stay healthy, especially during cold and flu season. So try to keep stress at bay. Daily meditation breaks can ease stress and help you stay calm: Just close your eyes and focus on your breathing for a few minutes (or longer if you can swing it!).
4. Keep things clean: Cleanliness will help keep the virus under control and help prevent that cold from spreading. Make sure to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home and at work, and be especially mindful to do so during cold and flu season, or whenever someone around you is sick.
5. Unfortunately, there is no cure for the common cold. To feel better, it's important to drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. In the meantime, over-the-counter medications can help ease your symptoms. Although Vicks products cannot cure a cold, they can help you feel better. NyQuil Cold & Flu and DayQuil Cold & Flu are both good options since they contain a pain reliever/fever reducer and cough suppressant. If you're suffering from additional symptoms, try NyQuil SEVERE Cold & Flu, which also contains a nasal decongestant and DayQuil SEVERE Cold & Flu, which contains an expectorant to help loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to make coughs more productive.
Again, these things won't cure a cold but will help with the symptoms of a cold. Get well soon!