Summertime is snack time at ShopRite and we’re here to help you discover delicious, wholesome and nutritious snack ideas. Stop by your neighborhood ShopRite and speak with one of our in-store registered dietitians about easy and portable snacking ideas to keep you energized all summer long!
Easy Stuffed Strawberries
Prep: 10 minutes • Cook: 4 minutes • Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons chopped, slivered almonds
- 12 medium fresh strawberries, hulled
- ¼ cup Philadelphia ⅓ Less Fat Neufchâtel Cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest
- In small skillet, toast almonds over medium heat 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently; transfer to plate to cool.
- With ⅛-teaspoon measuring spoon, carefully scoop out center of strawberries (about ½-inch deep), keeping bottoms and sides of strawberries intact.
- In medium bowl, whisk cheese, powdered sugar and zest until combined; transfer to small zip-top plastic bag and snip off bottom corner. Fill strawberries with cheese mixture; dip tops in almonds.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 77 Calories, 5g Fat (2g Saturated), 10mg Cholesterol, 48mg Sodium, 6g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 4g Sugars, 2g Added Sugars, 2g Protein
Hot Spinach and Kale Dip with Fresh Veggies
Prep: 20 minutes • Bake: 35 minutes • Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (5 ounces) baby kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 package Dole® Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups fresh vegetables such as snap peas, red pepper strips and/or celery sticks
- Baked tortilla chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In medium saucepot, heat 1½ teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add kale and spinach; cook and stir 5 minutes. Strain, pressing with back of spoon to remove excess moisture.
- In same saucepot, heat remaining 1½ teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in garlic, cream cheese, yogurt, mozzarella cheese, kale mixture, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to 1-quart baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 35 minutes or until top is browned. Makes about 2½ cups.
- Serve with vegetables and tortilla chips, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 81 Calories, 3g Fat (1g Saturated), 7mg Cholesterol, 174mg Sodium, 7g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 3g Sugars, 1g Added Sugars, 6g Protein
Cucumber & Cherry Tomato Kabobs with White Bean Hummus
Prep: 10 minutes • Serves: 6
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup no salt added cannellini white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1½ tablespoons Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 mini cucumbers, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 6 (3¾-inch) wooden skewers
- Smoked paprika for garnish (optional)
- In food processor, purée garlic, beans, lemon juice, tahini and ¼ teaspoon salt 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With processor running, pour oil through feed tube; purée until smooth. Makes about 1 cup.
- Alternately thread cucumbers and tomatoes onto skewers. Serve with hummus sprinkled with paprika, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 105 Calories, 7g Fat (1g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 114mg Sodium, 10g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 3g Protein
PB and Banana Granola Bars
Prep Time 5 min | Total Time 5 min | Servings1
- Nature Valley™ oats ‘n honey crunchy granola bar
- 2 tsp Peanut butter
- 6 Fresh banana slices
- Spread 1 granola bar with 2 teaspoons peanut butter; top with 6 slices fresh banana.
Nutrition: Cal 200, Fat 9g, Carb 25g, Protein 9g
Watermelon Gazpacho Salad
prep time: 30 minutes I serves: 6; makes 8 cups
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (3 cups)
- 3 cups watermelon cubes (½ (2-lb.) mini watermelon)
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber, diced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Toppings (optional): Croutons and pickled watermelon rind*
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, spinach and onion.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to combine. Add desired toppings, and serve.
* Pickled watermelon rind: Using a vegetable peeler, remove green peel from 1 (2-lb.) mini watermelon. Cut off white rind. (Reserve watermelon for salad.) Cut white rind into .-inch cubes to make 2 cups. In a large skillet combine rind, ¼ cup cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, ⅛ teaspoon fennel seeds and teaspoon salt over medium heat. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool completely, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 115 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium
Prep: 20 minutes plus chilling • Cook: 5 minutes • Serves 10
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons quick oats
- 2/3 cup finely chopped unsweetened dried apricots
- 1/3 cup 50% less sugar dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted sunflower butter without sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- In small skillet, toast almonds over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. In bowl of food processor with knife blade attached, process 3 tablespoons oats and almonds 15 seconds or to fine crumbs; transfer to medium bowl.
- In large bowl, combine dried fruits, coconut, cinnamon and remaining 1½ cups oats. Add sunflower butter, honey and extract, and stir until well combined and mixture begins to stick together.
- Using gloves or moist hands, form mixture into 1-inch balls, then coat lightly with almond-oat crumbs. Place on prepared cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight to allow oats to absorb moisture. Makes about 30 bites.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (3 granola bites): 191 Calories, 9g Fat (1g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 6mg Sodium, 25g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 13g Sugars, 6g Added Sugars, 5g Protein
Prep time: 10 minutes | cook time: 3 minutes | serves 4; makes 1 cup
- ¾ cup broccoli florets, thick stems removed
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. salsa
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ medium tomato, seeded and finely diced
- Red and/or orange bell pepper strips and whole-grain chips for serving (optional)
- Place broccoli in a small microwave-safe dish. Add ¼ cup water; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes or until broccoli is fork-tender; drain. Transfer to a cutting board; let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, finely chop broccoli.
- Place avocados in a medium bowl; drizzle with lime juice. Using a fork or pastry blender, mash avocados to desired consistency. Add salsa, garlic, tomato, broccoli, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
- Transfer broccomole to a serving bowl. Serve with bell pepper strips and chips, if desired.
Per serving: 170 calories, 15g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 1g total sugars, 0g added sugars, 3g protein
Lunchbox Turkey Sushi
Prep time: 30 minutes | Makes 6 (1-roll) servings
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
- 1 (6-oz.) container nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced fresh roasted turkey
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- For the avocado spread: In a medium bowl mash avocado with a fork to desired consistency. Stir in yogurt, basil, parsley, lemon juice and garlic powder; mix well.
- Spread avocado mixture evenly on tortillas. Layer evenly with turkey, carrots and cucumber. Roll tortillas up tightly over filling. To make the “sushi,” cut each roll into 4 pieces, and serve.
Per serving: 130 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g protein
Fro-Yo Swirl Bites
Prep Time: 30 Minutes Start to Finish: 2 Hours 30 Minutes 24 servings
- 1 cup Vanilla Chex™ cereal, coarsely crushed
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait™ Original strawberry yogurt
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait™ Original Key lime pie yogurt
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait™ Original mountain blueberry yogurt
- 1 container (6 oz) Yoplait™ Original orange creme yogurt
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped strawberries or blueberries
- Line 24 mini muffin cups with mini paper baking cups, or spray with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix crushed cereal and melted butter. Spoon about 1 teaspoon crushed cereal into each cup.
- In 12 of the mini muffin cups, spoon generous teaspoon of strawberry yogurt in one half of muffin cup. Spoon generous teaspoon lime yogurt in other half of muffin cup. Repeat using blueberry and orange yogurt in remaining 12 muffin cups.
- Swirl yogurt in muffin cups by running table knife through once in a circle.
- Top yogurt cups with berries. Cover with foil or plastic wrap; freeze at least 2 hours until firm. Allow to stand at room temperature 5 minutes; remove from muffin cups. Store in resealable freezer plastic bag or plastic storage container.
Per Serving: Calories 40 (Calories from Fat 10); Total Fat 1g (Saturated Fat 0.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 30mg; Potassium 10mg; Total Carbohydrate 6g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 4%; Iron 2%
Easy Pineapple Guacamole
Prep: 5 min. Makes: 8 servings
- 1 can (8 oz.) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) SABRA® Classic Guacamole
- Tortilla chips or veggies
- Combine pineapple and guacamole in a medium bowl. Serve with chips or veggies
Spicy BBQ Greek Yogurt Topping
Makes about 1 cup for 8 servings
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper or cayenne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Combine spices in small bowl. In small skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Pour in spices and stir just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Immediately scrape back into bowl.
- Stir in yogurt and season with salt. Use right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 38 Total Fat: 2.5g Saturated Fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 6mg Carbohydrates: 2g Dietary Fiber: 0.5g Protein: 3g Calcium: 55mg