We have a staff of over 100 registered dietitians who are eager to dish out fresh ideas and nutritional knowledge to make
healthy eating simpler and maybe even a little fun! Read on for easy recipes and cooking tips so you can live Well Everyday!
Make It Your Way Avocado Toast
Total time: 5 minutes | Serves: 1
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- ½ ripe, Avocados from Mexico, mashed
- Add your own toppings (below)
Choose Your Own Toppings:
- Tropical: Mango + Coconut Flakes
- Berry Berry: Strawberries + Blueberries
- Chunky Monkey: Chocolate Chips + Banana
- Spicy Eggs: Fried Egg + Sriracha drizzle
- Miss Piggy: Honey + Bacon
- Surfs Up: Smoked salmon + Tomato
- Pom Poms: Pomagranate Arils + Pineapple
- Power Melons: Watermelon + Canteloupe
- Just Peachy: Peaches + Raspberries
Balsamic-Herb Poached Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups ShopRite Lower Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup ShopRite Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 (5-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan combine broth, vinegar, carrots, celery, onion and rosemary. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or just until chicken is heated through (165°F). Drain chicken, reserving half the poaching liquid. Discard vegetables and rosemary. Transfer chicken to a large plate; cover to keep warm.
- For the glaze, return reserved poaching liquid to boiling. Simmer 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Reduce heat to medium-low; return chicken to saucepan, turning to coat with glaze. Cook 1 minute or just until chicken is heated through. Transfer chicken to individual plates. Cut into slices, drizzle with remaining glaze, and serve.
Green Bean Fries with Creamy Chipotle Dip
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 6
Green bean fries:
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz. fresh trimmed green beans
Creamy chipotle dip:
- 1 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers*
- 1 (6-oz.) container nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a shallow plate combine panko, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Whisk eggs in another shallow plate.
- Working in batches, place several green beans in bag with flour; seal bag and shake to coat. Place coated green beans in eggs, rolling to coat. Then place in panko mixture, rolling to coat evenly. Place coated green beans on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining green beans.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crispy and golden, turning once.
- Meanwhile, for the dip, in a medium bowl combine adobo sauce and yogurt. Transfer green bean fries to a serving dish, and serve with dip.
Per serving: 100 calories, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 9g protein
* Use caution when handling hot peppers. Wear disposable gloves or wash hands in hot, soapy water afterward.
Organic Mama Veggie Frittata
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | 12 servings
- 1 tsp Organic Valley Butter
- 1 medium-sized Organic Valley Red Onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves, torn
- 9 Organic Valley Large Brown Eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1⁄2 cup Organic Valley Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash and tear spinach, chop and shred all other veggies. Whisk eggs, sea salt, pepper and paprika in a medium bowl to blend.
- Grease the inside of a 9-in baking pan with butter. Add prepared vegetables and egg mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes, fresh basil and feta crumbles.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until fluffy, golden and set in the middle.
Nutrition facts per serving:
Calories: 90 Total fat: 5g Saturated fat: 2.5g Trans fat: 0 Cholesterol: 175mg Sodium: 220mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugars: 2g Protein: 7g
Teriyaki Salmon Rice Bowl
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 tbsp. mirin
- 2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 (4-oz.) salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For the teriyaki sauce, in a small bowl whisk together mirin, soy sauce, lime juice, half of the oil, half of the garlic, plus brown sugar, ginger and red pepper flakes; mix well. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat fillets lightly with nonstick cooking spray; season with pepper to taste. Place fillets, skin side down, in skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer fillets to a baking sheet, skin side down; lightly brush tops of fillets with some of the teriyaki sauce. Place baking dish in oven; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, return skillet to medium-high heat. Add remaining oil. Stir in onion and remaining garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add frozen broccoli and remaining teriyaki sauce. Cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon rice into individual bowls; top with vegetable mixture and salmon fillets, broken into large pieces. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (if desired), and serve.
Per serving: 350 calories, 11g fat, 2g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 495mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 26g protein
Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 minutes
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. lime zest, divided
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 30 to 35)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage or napa cabbage
- Salsa verde (optional)
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300°F to 350°F). For the sauce, in a small bowl whisk together sour cream, 1 teaspoon of the lime zest, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, plus cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl combine shrimp, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon lime zest, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste; toss. Thread shrimp onto 5 (10-inch) skewers.* Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Place shrimp evenly in tortillas. Top with cabbage, and drizzle with sauce. If desired, serve with salsa verde.
Per serving: 260 calories, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 160mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 19g protein
*If using wooden skewers, soak at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.
Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Prep time: 30 minutes | Makes 6 servings
- 4 oz. silken (soft) tofu
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- For the dressing: In a blender combine tofu, shallot, honey, vinegar, oil, mustard and lemon juice; blend until smooth. Stir in poppy seeds. Set aside.
- For the salad: In a large bowl combine spinach, strawberries, blueberries, basil and sunflower seeds; toss to combine. Transfer to individual plates, drizzle with dressing, and serve.
Per serving: 130 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g protein
Savory Oatmeal–Lentil Bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 2; makes 1 cup per serving
- 1/2 cup red lentils, sorted, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. no-salt-added Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup quick steel-cut oats
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 (3-oz.) fully-cooked Italian chicken sausages, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces
Toppings (optional): Halved grape tomatoes, sliced green onions, avocado slices, Sriracha, toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped fresh parsley or basil
- In a large saucepan add lentils and broth; bring broth to boiling over medium-high heat. Add seasoning and garlic. Stir; reduce heat to low. Cover with lid and simmer 6 minutes. Stir in oats and lemon juice. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until sausages are heated through, turning frequently.
- Spoon lentil mixture into individual bowls. Top with sausage and desired toppings, and serve.
Per serving: 420 calories, 12g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 34g protein
Banana–Granola Yogurt Parfait
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes* | Serves 4
- 3/4 cup ShopRite old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp. wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. trans fat-free margarine, melted
- 2 tbsp. ShopRite raisins
- 2 medium bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 (6-oz.) containers ShopRite lowfat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. For the granola, in a large bowl combine oats and wheat germ. Spread on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in almonds, sesame seeds, honey and melted margarine. Spread on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; let cool to room temperature. Stir in raisins; break up large granola clusters.
- To assemble the parfaits, spoon 2 tablespoons of the granola into each of 4 parfait glasses or dessert dishes. Top with alternating layers of banana, yogurt and granola, and serve.
Per serving: 270 calories, 9g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 9g protein