You don't need to be a seasoned chef to make better-for-you meals. Are you a kitchen newbie? We have tips and tricks for making deliciously nutritious meals, without needing the culinary arts degree. Simple, quick and tasty recipes are just a couple of ingredients away. Give it a shot!
Grilled Chicken and Fruit Salad with Peach Yogurt Dressing
Prep: 15 minutes | Grill: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups hulled and quartered strawberries
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) low fat peach yogurt (1½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 6 cups spring mix salad greens
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Spray both sides of chicken with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place chicken on hot grill rack. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and reaches an internal temperature of 165°, turning once. When cool enough to handle, dice chicken into ½-inch pieces.
- In small bowl, toss strawberries and almonds. In separate small bowl, stir together yogurt, honey, basil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Refrigerate all ingredients until ready to serve.
- Before serving, drain pineapple and fold together all ingredients except greens. To serve, line 4 individual serving plates with mixed greens and scoop chicken salad onto each plate. Serve with your favorite crackers or muffins.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 355 Calories, 8g Fat (1g Saturated), 71mg Cholesterol, 207mg Sodium, 40g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 33g Protein
Farro & Grilled Vegetable Salad with Smoky Tahini
Prep: 25 minutes • Grill: 5 minutes • Serves: 4
- 1 cup pearled farro
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 (½-inch thick) slices red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Prepare farro as label directs. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- Place carrots, tomatoes, zucchini and red onion on rimmed baking pan; coat with 2 tablespoons oil. Place vegetables on hot grill rack; cover and cook 5 minutes or until grill marks appear, turning once. Cool and chop.
- In large bowl, whisk garlic, tahini, lemon juice, mint, paprika, remaining 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add chopped vegetables and farro; toss to combine.
Per serving: 415 Calories, 23g Fat (3g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 174mg Sodium, 46g Carbohydrates, 8g Fiber, 4g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 11g Protein
Pump up the Protein: Add shrimp marinated in an herb vinaigrette.
Hummus-Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
Prep: 30 minutes plus standing • Makes: about 40 tomatoes
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) cherry tomatoes
- 1 container (10 ounces) refrigerated hummus
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- With sharp knife, trim off about 8-inch-thick slice from stem end of tomatoes. With ¼ teaspoon measuring spoon, grapefruit spoon or melon baller, carefully scoop out pulp and seeds from tomatoes making sure bottom and side of tomatoes are intact. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on paper towel-lined cookie sheet; let stand 10 minutes to drain.
- Fill tomatoes with 1 heaping teaspoon hummus and place on serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley and paprika, if desired. If not serving right away, cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (4 tomatoes): 58 Calories, 3g Fat (0g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 112mg Sodium, 6g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 3g Protein
Chef Tip: For a caterer’s touch, add hummus to small pastry bag fitted with a small star tip; pipe hummus into tomatoes. If you don’t have a pastry bag and star tip, place hummus in large zip-top plastic bag and snip off a bottom corner.
Santa Fe Zoodle & Shrimp Salad
Prep: 10 minutes • Serves: 4
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces zucchini noodles
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package (12 ounces) cooked 31-40 count tail-off peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed if necessary
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
- In large bowl, whisk oil, cilantro, vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. Add zucchini noodles, beans, shrimp, tomatoes and onion; toss to combine. Fold in avocado and cheese.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 391 Calories, 17g Fat (4g Saturated), 167mg Cholesterol, 587mg Sodium, 28g Carbohydrates, 11g Fiber, 6g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 33g Protein
Tuna Poke Bowl
Prep: 10 minutes • Grill: 6 minutes • Serves 4
- cup uncooked black rice
- tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons less sodium soy sauce
- tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- tablespoons sesame oil
- tuna fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- medium avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup sliced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup thinly sliced radishes
- teaspoons black sesame seeds
- Prepare rice as label directs. In medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling (or heat large skillet) over medium-high heat. Rub tuna with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Place tuna on hot grill rack (or in skillet); cover (don’t cover skillet) and cook 6 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°, turning once.
- Slice tuna ¼-inch thick. Divide rice into 4 bowls; top with avocado, carrots, pineapple, radishes and tuna. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Per serving: 546 Calories, 26g Fat (5g Saturated), 47mg Cholesterol, 443mg Sodium, 44g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 5g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 37g Protein
Customize your way! Not a fan of fish? Top with marinated grilled tofu for a vegetarian spin. Add some crunch with crumbled seed-based crackers or a little spice with a dash of hot sauce.
Dietitian tip: Have leftover toppings? Use them on top of mixed greens or in a lettuce wrap for lunch the next day!
Skillet Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp. white whole-wheat flour, divided
- 3 (4- to 5-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Swanson® Unsalted Chicken Cooking Stock
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place 1 cup of the flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Place chicken in bag with flour; seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned (165°F). Transfer chicken to a large plate lined with paper towels.
- For the Alfredo sauce, add lemon juice to skillet, stirring to loosen up any browned bits. Add butter and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons flour. Gradually add stock, whisking until flour has dissolved. Whisk in half-and-half and Parmesan; cook and stir 2 minutes. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir in broccoli, parsley and chicken; cook and stir 3 minutes or until chicken is warmed through. Transfer chicken and broccoli to a large serving bowl, spoon with Alfredo sauce, and serve.
Per serving: 410 calories, 17g fat, 7g saturated fat, 80mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 34g protein
Prep: 20 minutes plus cooling • Bake: 20 minutes • Serves: 4
- 3 slices turkey bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- ¾ cup sliced white mushrooms (about 8 small)
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped baby spinach
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 8 teaspoons Kraft Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, onion and mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in spinach. In medium bowl, whisk egg whites, eggs and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Spray 8 standard muffin cups with cooking spray. Evenly divide bacon mixture into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle 1 teaspoon cheese over bacon mixture. Evenly pour egg mixture over cheese in muffin cups.
- Bake quiches 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and internal temperature reaches 145°. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then invert quiches onto plate.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 112 Calories, 4g Fat (2g Saturated), 102mg Cholesterol, 259mg Sodium, 4g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 14g Protein
Chef Tip: Baked quiches can be tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 2 months.
Southwest Turkey Burgers
Prep: 20 minutes • Grill: 8 minutes • Serves: 4
- 1¼ pounds 94% lean ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- ¼ red bell pepper, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
Toppings: lettuce leaves, sliced ripe avocado, sliced red onion and/or refrigerated pico de gallo (optional)
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. In large bowl, gently mix turkey, garlic, green onion, jalapeño, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, oil and salt until well blended but not overmixed. Form mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties.
- Place burgers on hot grill rack; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°, turning once. About 2 minutes before burgers are done, place buns, cut side down, on grill. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Serve burgers in buns with desired toppings.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 315 Calories, 10g Fat (2g Saturated), 60mg Cholesterol, 537mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 29g Protein
Chef Tip: Top burgers with sliced Monterey Jack cheese during last 2 minutes of grilling.