Caramelized Blueberry & Basil Ricotta Crostini
- 12 slices multigrain baguette, cut ¼ inch thick
- ShopRite Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons Wholesome Pantry Organic Honey
- 4 ounces ShopRite part-skim ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush baguette slices with olive oil on both sides.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the blueberries and honey and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes or until berries have begun to burst. Add basil and stir gently to combine. Drain off excess liquid and set aside.
- Place baguette slices on the grill and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and place on a serving platter.
- To assemble, top each baguette slice with 1-2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese. Top with 2 tablespoons of caramelized berries. Season lightly with salt and serve immediately.
Fresh Tomato Bruschetta
- 1 loaf multigrain baguette - optional
- 4 large tomatoes
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ShopRite imported balsamic vinegar
- If using the baguette- cut bread into ½ inch thick slices. Lay slices on a baking sheet and broil until crisp on top. Flip bread over and broil until crisp so both sides are crispy. OR Brush both sides of baguette with olive oil and place on heated grill. Grill 1-2 minutes per side until crispy.
- Dice tomatoes and put in colander for juices to drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together basil, drained tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Place a spoonful of bruschetta on top of your crispy bread. Serve at room temperature.
Serving Size: 1oz Calories: 10 Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrate: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0.787g: Protein: 0g
- 2 cups ripe peaches, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (taste and add additional 1/2 if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir together until well combined.
Serving Size: 3.5oz Calories: 40 Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 270mg Carbohydrate: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g: Protein: 0.95g
Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 ears corn
- 1, 5.3-ounce container nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 ounces Mexican cotija cheese, crumbled (or you can substitute crumbled feta cheese)
- ¼ teaspoon ShopRite chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 or 2 limes, juiced
- Preheat grill over medium-high heat.
- Pull back husks on corn and remove silks, leaving the husks attached to make a nice handle. Grill for about 20 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes or so until corn is cooked through and blackened in spots. Remove from the grill and let corn cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cheese, chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut off the corn kernels off the cob and add to the large mixing bowl. Gently fold in corn until combined.
Fresh Tzatziki Cucumber Salad
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise, seeds scooped then thinly sliced in half moons
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion (1/4 of a medium red onion)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, dill, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pat dry the cucumber slices with a paper towel. Add cucumbers and red onion slices to the dressing and gently combine.
Serving Size: 4oz Calories: 35 Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 120mg Carbohydrate: 6g Fiber: 0.686g Sugar: 3g: Protein: 3g
Fresh Corn & Tomato Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, dry
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 ears of corn, kernels removed
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain & rinse.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add corn and sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add in ¼ cup olive oil, vinegar, basil, and garlic. Toss to combine.
- Add cooked corn and pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add tomatoes and parmesan cheese to bowl and toss to combine then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serving Size: 4oz Calories: 220 Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 320mg Carbohydrate: 26g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g: Protein: 7g
Summer Vegetable Whole Wheat Orzo Salad
- ½ small eggplant, peeled and diced
- ½ medium yellow squash, diced
- ½ medium green zucchini, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry whole wheat orzo
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 scallions, greens only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat.Add ¼ cup olive oil and sauté eggplant, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic for about 5-6 minutes, until al dente.Season with salt, and pepper
- Meanwhile, cook whole wheat orzo according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add sautéed vegetables to cooked orzo in a large bowl.Add lemon juice, red wine vinegar, remaining ¼ cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper and toss well.Let cool to room temperature then add scallions, shredded parmesan, and basil and toss again, right before serving.
Serving Size: 3oz Calories: 170 Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 1.5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 115mg Carbohydrate: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g: Protein: 2g
Shredded Collard and Cabbage Slaw
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch collard greens, stems discarded and leaves shredded
- ½ small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 apple, small diced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ShopRite honey
- 1/2 cup ShopRite extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4oz pancetta, cooked and drained (optional)
- Add collard greens, cabbage, apple and onion to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.Add vinegar, mustard, honey, and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and combine.
- “Massage” greens with the dressing to soften the greens. Chill 15 minutes and toss in pancetta, if using and enjoy as part of your summer cookout as a side dish or topping!
Serving Size: 3.5oz Calories: 110 Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1.5g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 190mg Carbohydrate: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g: Protein: 2g