At ShopRite, we think eating healthy should be affordable, fun and really tasty -- a commitment to help you live Well Everyday! This month, we’re celebrating the 2-year anniversary of Well Everyday, a program that provides healthy inspiration and education to help you and your family take small steps towards better nutrition. Celebrate with us by cooking up a delicious, better-for-you recipe!
Pineapple Salmon KabobsPrep: 30 minutes plus marinating • Grill: 12 minutes • Serves: 4
- garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup light coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- tablespoons grapeseed oil
- tablespoons honey
- 1¼ pounds skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 8 (10-inch) wooden skewers
- 1½ red bell peppers, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ¾ medium red onion, cut into 1½-inch wedges, separated
- 2½ cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1½-inch chunks
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted shredded coconut or coconut chips
- In medium bowl, whisk together garlic, pineapple juice, coconut milk, lime juice, grapeseed oil and honey. Place salmon in large zip-top plastic bag, pour marinade over salmon. Seal bag and refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate.
- Soak skewers in water 20 minutes. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve ½ cup marinade. Alternately thread salmon, bell pepper, onion and pineapple onto skewers.
- Coat grill rack with oil; reduce grill heat to medium. Place kabobs on hot grill rack and cook 12 minutes, or until salmon turns opaque throughout and internal temperature of salmon reaches 145°, rotating kabobs ¼ turn every 3 to 4 minutes. Remove kabobs from grill and place on large serving plate; keep warm.
- In small saucepan, heat reserved marinade to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute. Drizzle marinade over kabobs and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 398 Calories, 17g Fat (4g Saturated), 90mg Cholesterol, 86mg Sodium, 28g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 34g Protein
Grilled Tangerine Shrimp with Whole Wheat PastaPrep: 55 minutes plus marinating • Grill: 10 minutes • Serves: 4
- 2 medium tangerines
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- garlic clove, minced
- teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 16 16-20 count tail-on raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 4 (8-inch) wooden skewers
- tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- tablespoons rice vinegar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1½ cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (3.5 ounces)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Shredded napa cabbage for garnish (optional)
- Grate 2 teaspoons zest and squeeze ⅓ cup juice from tangerines. In medium bowl, whisk together tangerine zest and juice, 2 teaspoons cilantro, garlic, ½ teaspoon sesame oil and ginger; reserve 2 tablespoons marinade. Place shrimp in large zip-top plastic bag, pour marinade over shrimp; seal bag, refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepot, cook pasta as label directs. Soak skewers in water 20 minutes. In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon cilantro and ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Drain pasta and return to saucepot. Add soy sauce mixture, vegetable mixture and green onions; toss to combine. Cover and keep warm.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Skewer shrimp, 4 shrimp per skewer. Grill shrimp skewers 4 to 5 minutes per side or until opaque throughout and internal temperature reaches 145°.
- Divide shrimp and noodle mixture over 4 serving plates; drizzle shrimp with reserved marinade. Serve garnished with cabbage, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 230 Calories, 2g Fat (1g Saturated), 100mg Cholesterol, 423mg Sodium, 33g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 21g Protein
Greek Salad Nachos
Prep: 10 minutes • Bake: 5 minutes • Serves: 6
- 1 bag (7.33 ounces) plain pita chips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¾ cup classic hummus
- ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ English cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup drained sliced pepperoncini
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 350°. On rimmed baking pan, evenly spread chips; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Transfer hummus to small zip-top plastic bag; snip bottom corner with kitchen scissors. In small bowl, stir yogurt and dill; transfer to small zip-top plastic bag and snip bottom corner with kitchen scissors.
- Drizzle chips with hummus. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepperoncini, onion and olives; drizzle with
- yogurt mixture.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 288 Calories, 14g Fat (4g Saturated), 17mg Cholesterol, 744mg Sodium, 32g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 4g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 10g Protein
Baked Cheesy Potatoes & Broccoli
Prep: 10 minutes • Bake: 45 minutes • Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bag (20 ounces) refrigerated diced potatoes with onion
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk; cook 2 minutes or until mixture thickens, whisking frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In large bowl, toss potatoes, broccoli and cheese mixture to combine. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; transfer potato mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast. Bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 109 Calories, 2g Fat (0g Saturated), 1mg Cholesterol, 174mg Sodium, 19g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 2g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 5g Protein
Beef & Bean Chili Verde
Prep: 15 minutes • Cook: 30 minutes • Serves: 8
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 green and/or yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1¾ pounds 96% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅛teaspoon salt
- Optional garnishes: sliced green onions, diced tomatoes and/or chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In large saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion, and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano, and cook 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until browned, breaking up meat with side of wooden spoon. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Stir in chiles, salsa and water, and heat to simmering. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans and salt. Cook 5 minutes. Serve chili topped with green onions, tomatoes and/or cilantro, if desired. Makes about 10 cups.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 234 Calories, 6g Fat (1g Saturated), 39mg Cholesterol, 439mg Sodium, 24g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 22g Protein
Fresh Fruit Tarts
Prep: 20 minutes • Bake: 8 minutes • Serves: 8
- 12 sheets (9 x 14 inches each) phyllo dough, thawed
- Butter cooking spray
- 1 package (8 ounces) Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple jelly
- 2⅔ cups fresh fruit: raspberries, blueberries, sliced bananas, sliced kiwi and/or Mandarin oranges, in light syrup, drained
- Prepare Shells: Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and unroll phyllo dough; cover phyllo dough with clean damp towel to prevent drying.
- Transfer 1 sheet to work surface and spray lightly with cooking spray, keeping remaining sheets covered with damp towel. Repeat 5 times, placing sheets on top of first layer, for a total of 6 layers; cut into 4 equal size rectangles. Form each into 4 muffin cups in muffin pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Repeat with 6 more phyllo dough sheets and cooking spray. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Prepare Filling: In small bowl, with rubber spatula, fold together all ingredients. With whisk, stir filling until well combined.
- Prepare Topping: In small saucepan, melt jelly. Do not let boil.
- Transfer filling to large zip-top plastic bag with bottom corner snipped off (or use a spoon), and evenly divide filling into shells. Arrange fruit of choice over filling and brush fruit with jelly.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 286 Calories, 9g Fat (5g Saturated), 21mg Cholesterol, 275mg Sodium, 30g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 5g Protein
Foil-Pack Bruschetta Chicken
Prep: 10 minutes • Bake: 20 minutes • Serves: 4
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½medium white onion, sliced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1¼ cups seasoned croutons, crushed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°. In medium bowl, whisk garlic, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper; slowly drizzle in oil whisking constantly. Stir in onion and tomatoes.
- Tear four 12 x 24-inch sheets aluminum foil; arrange sheets horizontally. In center of each sheet, evenly divide half the tomato mixture; place 1 chicken breast over tomatoes and evenly top chicken with remaining tomato mixture. For each packet, tightly crimp top and bottom sides of foil over chicken; fold and tightly crimp both ends of foil.
- Place packets on rimmed baking pan; bake 20 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 160°. Carefully open top of packets; evenly sprinkle with croutons and cheese. Reseal packets; let stand 3 minutes or until cheese melts. (Internal temperature of chicken will rise to 165° upon standing.) Open packets; evenly sprinkle with basil.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 323 Calories, 14g Fat (5g Saturated), 110mg Cholesterol, 670mg Sodium, 12g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 35g Protein
Better-For-You Hummingbird Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Frosting
Prep: 20 minutes plus cooling Bake: 20 minutes Serves: 12
For the Cupcakes
- 12 paper baking cup liners
- 2½ cups protein packed buttermilk flapjack & waffle mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup chopped fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup unsalted pecan pieces plus additional for garnish (optional)
For the Frosting
- ⅔ cup Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Toasted coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Prepare Hummingbird Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line standard-size muffin pan with baking cups; spray with baking spray. In medium bowl, whisk pancake mix and baking powder. In large bowl, whisk eggs, banana and applesauce; stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in pineapple and pecans. Fill baking cups ¾ full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out with a few crumbs attached; cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare Frosting: In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat Neufchâtel 1 minute or until smooth. Add yogurt and powdered sugar; beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Add vanilla extract; beat until combined. Makes about 1½ cups.
- Spread cupcakes with frosting; garnish with pecans and coconut flakes, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 185 Calories, 7g Fat (2g Saturated), 46mg Cholesterol, 279mg Sodium, 23g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 9g Sugars, 3g Added Sugars, 9g Protein