Easy Homemade Latkes
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and shredded OR 1 package Wholesome Pantry Zucchini, Sweet Potato, or Butternut Squash Noodles, roughly chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and grated
- 2 Wholesome Pantry eggs
- ½ cup ShopRite flour or ½ cup matzo meal
- 1 tsp ShopRite salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- ShopRite Trading Company Smoked Salmon
- Wholesome Pantry Applesauce
- ShopRite Sour Cream
- Add the vegetables and the grated onion to a piece of cheesecloth or a clean dishtowel and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Put this into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients and stir until everything is just mixed together.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add enough oil so that it is about ¼ inch deep. Once the oil is hot, gently drop heaping tablespoons of the latke mixture into the oil, about 4-5 at a time so as to avoid crowding the pan.
- Use a spatula to flatten them into disk shapes, then when the edges of the latkes are brown and crispy, about 5 minutes, flip. Cook until the other side is golden brown, about another 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining batter until you’ve used it all.
- Top with applesauce, sour cream and/or smoked salmon, if desired